Kenilworth Union Church: Kenilworth, IL • Children’s and Youth Ministry Full-Time Position 2/3/2021
Founded in 1892 in Chicago’s North Shore suburbs, Kenilworth Union Church is a mainline protestant church rooted in Christ’s message to love God and neighbor. The Church is heavily invested in children and youth and welcomes 25–40 individuals per grade to its Children’s programs and over 100 high school youth to its leadership and service youth programs.
The Church seeks a detail-oriented and energetic individual to help build on strong ministries already in place. Working with our children and youth, as well as with staff and volunteers, the successful candidate will help plan, administer, and execute vibrant faith formation programs in this welcoming community.
This is a 40+ hour per week salaried position. Presence Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings is required. Participation in planned trips and overnight youth programs is also expected.
- Build relationships with children, youth, and their families, as well as the staff team at Kenilworth Union Church.
- Research and develop new opportunities for digital and social media ministry during and beyond COVID-19.
- Assist with existing and help develop new communications plans and channels that engage families and youth of the church via text message, social media, or other.
- Help plan and lead special events and service projects for youth and families, including recruiting and managing volunteers.
- Organize registrations, attendance, materials, classroom set-up, trip or project planning, logistics for group projects, and similar responsibilities across all programs.
- Work with ministry teammates to create and execute COVID-19 safe alternatives to annual programs, such as the Christmas Pageant, VBS, Easter Bake Sale, Confirmation Day, Mission Trip Commissioning, Youth Sunday, etc.
- Be willing to maintain first aid/ child safety certifications and pursue professional development within the wider church, especially as it relates to children and youth.
- Help lead youth overnighters, field trips, retreats, and mission trips.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or Christian Education, Child/Adolescent Psychology, or related field—or commensurate experience with children and/or youth.
- Experience working as a Christian Educator, camp counselor, after-school program leader, or equivalent.
- Additional personal and professional qualifications include excellent communication skills, enthusiasm for engaging in relational faith formation with children and youth, a joyful, relaxed presence with children, youth, and their families.
- Demonstrated Christian faith and values.
- Vocal music, piano and/or guitar abilities are valued but not required.
- The ability to adapt, lead, and innovate through for the remainder of the pandemic and beyond. Candidates must be comfortable with digital ministry and willing to learn new technology quickly.
- Tech literacy:
- Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and Google Drive and Calendar literacy is required.
- Instagram and Facebook literacy is required.
- Other social media literacy or expertise is valued, but not required.
- Experience with Canva, Snapchat, CRM database software, Mailchimp, WordPress, Adobe Suite, video and/or audio production software, and others is highly valued.
Candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Christine Hides or Silvi Pirn.