Lent Begins: Wednesday, February 17
Ash Wednesday Scripture: Matthew 6:1–6, 16–21
Out of the Dust
We invite you to use the ashes enclosed in the packet mailed to your home earlier this week to begin the season of Lent. We will have two worship services together:
• Available online all day: Family Friendly Ash Wednesday Online Worship
• Traditional Ash Wednesday Online Worship at 7:30 p.m., livestream and available anytime after here.
We have made extra envelopes of ashes available by contacting Greta Connor or packets of ashes will be available inside the front door of the church during business hours.
To impose the ashes during online worship, watch a quick video from Bill and Kathy Evertsberg or:
- Shake the envelope gently to move the ashes to the bottom
- Carefully cut the envelope all the way across the short edge about halfway from the top
- Use the ashes dry or with a finger dipped in lotion or oil* to mark a cross on your forehead or the back of your hand.
*Do not use water as it could cause irritation
- Say out loud, “Remember you are dust and to dust you shall return.”
Pray the following prayer:
O God, who makes all things new, new stars, new dust, new life;
take my heart, every hardened edge and measured beat, and create
something new in me. I need your newness, God, the rough parts of me
made smooth; the stagnant, stirred, the stuck, freed; the unkind, forgiven.
And then, by the power of your Spirit, I need to be turned toward Love
—Pamela Hawkins, The Awkward Season: Prayers for Lent