By Silvi Pirn
I am excited to share a glimpse of what is going on with our youth…
- Youth Sunday is May 19. Come listen to the sermons by this year’s high school seniors and honor the student and youth leaders who call Kenilworth Union Church “home”.
- The IMPACT high school mission team is making final preparations for the two mission trips this June to Bogota, Colombia. One group departs June 14. The second, June 21.
- IMPACT will wrap up its Sunday evening meetings May 19 with a final team activity on this year’s theme:
- Since February, our youth have been thoughtfully considering how God might be leading us to transform the lives of young people and families on the North Shore with respect to the heavy burdens they carry: judgement and anxiety.
- IMPACT and Alison Tobey Smart Memorial Fund co-sponsored a concurrent screening and discussion of the film, “Angst”, in February
- Wednesday Youth Groups are having fun in May. Our year-end parties for both youth groups are on Wednesday, May 29.
- Mark Your Calendars! We are planning Youth Group events on July 31 and August 21—details tba.
- Our High School CORE team has grown close while providing leadership and mentorship at Youth Groups. We will celebrate the amazing year with a CORE dinner in Evanston on June 6.
- We wrapped up our year of Sunday Breakfast Club for grades 7 & 8 on Mother’s Day. Stay tuned as plans are in the works to host a few breakfasts this summer!
- Youth Director, Silvi, (that’s me!) was at Princeton Theological Seminary in late April attending the annual Youth Ministry Forum and joining Cohort K of the Theology and Youth Certificate Program. My take-away from the forum was “Minster to abundance, not scarcity.” Credit goes to Rev. Mike Mather of Broadway UMC in Indianapolis, who shared his story at the forum. It is also in his book: Having Nothing, Possessing Everything: Finding Abundant Communities in Unexpected Places.
- Parent Coffees: Since January, I have been blessed to spend time with parents of teens and young adults over coffee on Friday mornings. There will be two more Parent coffees before summer: Friday, May 17, 8:30–9:30 a.m. at Reprise Coffee Roasters in Hubbard Woods and Friday, May 24, 8:30–9:30 a.m. at Peet’s in Winnetka. Please stop by and say Hi!
- The Confirmation Wilderness Course to Olympic National Park is just around the corner in early August. There are still spaces available. Information and Registration are online here.