We hope you are enjoying summer and staying healthy and safe. Throughout June and July, we have been working around the clock tracking the constantly changing DCFS and IDPH guidelines in regards to the COVID pandemic and school openings. We appreciate your patience as we have delicately worked through these trying times and various scenarios to ensure a safe and successful return to school this fall. Below details our Fall 2020 Plan. Please review and reach out with any questions or hesitations. The health and well-being of your child, family, and our teaching staff is of our utmost concern and primary focus. We send our love and well wishes to you and your family and look forward to seeing most of you come September!
NEW POLICIES & PROCEDURES
As of now, the following regulations will be in place for the 2020–2021 school year based on DCFS and IDPH guidelines; these will continue to be evaluated on an ongoing basis:
- Drop-off will occur for all children at the cloisters or at an alternative designated door outside of Kenilworth Union Church; no parents will be allowed inside of the building due to health regulations.
- Temperatures will be taken and recorded daily upon arrival at drop off; a temperature reading of 100.4 and above is unable to enter the building and will be sent home.
- A visual health inspection will take place during the temperature check in, as well as a verbal health update. We will ask that you verify that the child has not had any fever, shortness of breath, cough, sore throat, vomiting, or diarrhea.
- Face shields/face coverings are required and must be worn by all teachers and staff.
- Face coverings/masks are required and must be worn by all children over the age of 2 coming and going from school and in common place areas (e.g. hallways, bathrooms).
- Gatherings of 50 or more will be prohibited (there will be no large groups in the playground, basement, chapel, or other space).
- With the exception of going outside with their individual classes as weather permits, students will remain in their classroom for majority of the day; once in their secure and clean classroom, children may remove their masks.
- Strict and thorough cleaning procedures will occur daily and in-between all classes.
Class offerings are subject to change throughout the year depending on DCFS and IDPH guidelines. Below are the classes we will be offering starting in September:
- T/TH 9:15–11:15 a.m. *please note the time change
- First day of school for T/TH Twos is Tuesday, September 8
- W/F 9:15–11:15 a.m. *please note the time change
- First day of school for W/F Twos is Wednesday, September 9
- M/W/F 9:00–11:30 a.m.
- First day of school is Wednesday, September 9
- M/T/W/TH/F 8:50–11:40 a.m.
- First day of school is Tuesday, September 8
Fall logistics regarding drop-off, pick-up, car pool, etc. for these classes will be communicated to you well in advance of the first day of school.
Additionally, AJN Preschool is prepared to pivot to eLearning for enrolled students if necessary. Curriculum was created and written over the summer in preparation if this event occurs. We will only do so if directed by our governing bodies, the IDPH and DCFS.
We are very saddened to announce the following programs will be suspended until further notice. This was a very difficult decision for our school, but we feel it is the safest option moving forward for the fall. We plan to focus on our core classes and be conservative while following DCFS guidelines.
Suspended Until Further Notice:
- Mommy & Me
- Mom & Tot Transitions
- 3’s Lunch & Learn
- 3’s Creations
- JK Lunch & Learn
- JK Enrichments (Art Adventures, Super Science, World of Literacy)
If we are able to run additional programs later in the year, communication will go out to re-enroll in those classes. Families who were previously enrolled (and had enrollment terminated) would have first priority to receive a re-enrollment spot.
For transparency, at this time, DCFS regulates that non-essential “visitors” should be limited inside the building to prevent exposure. This directly affects Beginnings, Mommy & Me, and Tot Transitions. Lunch & Learns are an area in which the exposure risk is high, which is why they are suspended for the time being. JK Enrichments, where children would return to AJN after being home and mix with students from other classes, are suspended due to the extra risk they pose. Once again, we are being conservative for the fall in the hopes of a successful school experience that we can add to as the year goes on and restrictions loosen up. Please continue reading below for information on refunds for these classes.
TUITION REFUNDS FOR SUSPENDED CLASSES
At this time, all Mommy & Me, Tot Transitions, Lunch & Learn, Creations, and Junior Kindergarten enrichment enrollments have been terminated. You can expect a full refund for these courses once school begins. If this applies to your family, no further action is needed.
COVID REFUND POLICY
Given the COVID-19 Pandemic, AJN Preschool had to establish an updated cancellation and refund policy. This will be reflected in our 2020–2021 Handbook. AJN Preschool’s refund policy for the 2020–2021 school year is stated as:
Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, AJN will honor an enrollment refund if you are uncomfortable sending your child to school. This decision will have to be made by August 17, 2020 to receive a full refund. After this date, the COVID-19 refund policy will be void.
In the event state guidelines change prior to the start of school, we will consider updating our procedures and policies.
If your child is currently enrolled in Twos, Threes, and/or Junior Kindergarten and you plan to send your child without any changes to his/her enrollment, no further action is needed.
If you choose to unenroll your child from a class that is still being offered, please email Amy Castino as soon as possible or no later than August 17 with this information, to receive a full refund. This deadline ensures that we can appropriately plan and staff.
If you choose to unenroll your child, we apologize, but we cannot accept re-enrollment at this time unless we notify you otherwise.
As we said, please know that your children are our main priority. This summer was bursting with brainstorming ways to keep them healthy, while still staying true to offering the best preschool experience that we can. We want your children to have a safe and healthy learning environment and we look forward to watching them blossom this next school year. We are proud of our offerings and the teachers are excited to get started. So much good to come all starting with your littles and their love of learning. Thank you for being a part of the AJN Preschool family.